Add to Circles

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Smolov Jr. for Bench

The Smolov Jr. for Bench program is based off the Russian squat routine known as Smolov. It is shortened to 3 weeks, however, and you don't need to be an advanced lifter to take advantage of this program. It is set up as follows:

It is generally not recommended to do other presses while doing this program. Benching four times per week is enough.

The percentages are based on your 1RM. You may want to adjust that number down by five pounds if you want this program to be a little easier. Some lifters don't make any progress with this program, and some burn out. Others, though, will benefit from the extra benching and varying set and rep ranges.

I used this program when I was struggling with SL 5x5 after hitting my PR of 225 lbs. I was still perfecting my form, and with benching only 3 times every 2 weeks, I felt I wasn't getting enough practice. 

With a working PR of 225, this program would start with 6x6 @ 157.5 and end with 10x3 @ 206 lbs. You can use fractional plates if you want to get specific, but just round.

After following this program, my bench increased by 15 pounds to 240. Most importantly, my form solidified with the extra practice. I've seen similar success stories with this program. And if you don't make any progress, you've only "wasted" three weeks. If you've plateaued on your bench, give Smolov Jr. a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment